2008年10月13日月曜日

12/Oct/08 Weekend self-study


Yesterday I went to Swansea, which is in Wales, to have a lacrosse match. It was a bloody long journey. It took three hours by train from London Paddington. Anyway I am happy that we won the match by a score of 27 goals to 2.


For weekend self-study I have read a book about Japan, of course which is written in English. The title is ‘Japan FAQ.’ There were two reasons I have read it.

First, my father recommended it to me before I came here. He told me that you have to know about Japan and you would be heard about Japan by your friends and Japan. Actually, in class or when I talked to my friends who are not Japanese, they often asked me about Japan. In my opinion, foreigners, who mean that they are not Japanese, are more interested in foreign countries than Japanese.


Second, I have written description about Oxford, using the form FAQ so it could be useful to review my writing, I think. While I was reading it, I realized one thing, which is that the most important thing is to answer the questions properly. As Steve said to us in our class about topic sentences, the answers are quite economical; they do not have more words than they are necessary. In addition, the sentences which have other information are completely connected to the main answers. They support the answers.

I put the link of AMAZON below, although if you are interested in this book and Japan please let me know. I will lend it to you. Even for me who am Japanese, this book is interesting so I recommend it to you.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B8%E3%83%A3%E3%83%91%E3%83%B3FAQ-%E6%B4%8B%E8%B2%A9%E3%83%A9%E3%83%80%E3%83%BC%E3%82%B7%E3%83%AA%E3%83%BC%E3%82%BALEVEL4-%E3%83%87%E3%82%A3%E3%83%93%E3%83%83%E3%83%89-%E3%82%BB%E3%82%A4%E3%83%B3/dp/4896840348/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223842508&sr=8-2

And this book has some useful collocations.

To slow someone down=to become slower or to make someone become slower

To stick out=to be very easy to notice
She was embarrassed because her flower stuck out in the grave.

To be topped with sth=to be covered with sth
Japanese sushi is topped with a small raw fish.

To specialize in sth=to spend most of your time studying one particular subject or doing one type of business

All-you-can-drink option=it is a kind of buffet for drink. If you pay some money for this, you can drink all kinds of drinks which the restaurant serves repeatedly how many times you want.

Good sentence because I can use in other situation.
-Tofu is low in fat and high in protein.
- (about National Holiday) It falls on February on 3 or 4.


To pass down from one generation to the next

0 件のコメント: